Sunday, November 27, 2016

Digital Picture Book: Dragon Brush




Digital Picture Book: Dragon Brush
Illustrator and Designer: John Solimine
Publisher: Small Planet, 2012

Dragon Brush was one of the e-books that Cahill and McGill-Franzen mentioned in their article on selecting appropriate "apps." I definitely understand why they added this app to the list, because wowwww was it amazing!!! I honestly didn't know that interactive books like these were out there for children. I am so glad our professor gave us this topic as a blog post because I was able to study and look at different e-book applications. I grew up with a younger sister (6 years younger than me) and therefore thought I was up-to-date on all the cool things out there for children. However, since the advancement of technology, companies have developed such interesting and interactive applications for children. I am excited to get to blog about these apps and was so excited to experience them for myself. I can't wait to see the reaction of children and to see how they use them in and out of the classroom.

Overall, Dragon Brush, was particularly entertaining. I felt like I was watching a movie and playing a game all in one. It was super interactive because on each page you were able to draw with a paintbrush, click different characters to see their reactions, and find hidden treasures. Overall, I was entertained, so I am sure a child will be! The illustrations were superb and the overall design of the app was excellent. I know if must have taken a long time to develop the app and wow can you tell they put a lot of thought into it.

The only negative complaint I would have is that I almost wish the book had a multi-part series. So maybe after you read the first story, there is a second, third, fourth, etc. I think that is a good way to get children hooked on certain books and reading in general. I know I would love to continue the story, and students would as well. So that would be my only suggestion for the app to improve. In having more stories available, I think it will prevent students from getting bored or having to read the same story over and over again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment