Thursday, September 15, 2016

Historical Fiction Novel: Blue


Title: Blue
Author: Joyce Moyer Hostetter
Publication: 2011

Blue was about how a young girl, Ann Fay Honeycutt, and her family deal with the problems and effects of the polio epidemic in Hickory, North Carolina and having a father off at war in Europe. The book follows Ann Fay as she "wears the overalls" in the house for her dad who's away at war. As she is finally getting the hang of things, she comes down with polio and deals with the hardships of having this life-threatening illness. The book follows her through these events and teaches the reader both a little bit about history and what it would have felt like to live during that time period.

Blue was definitely one of my favorite historical fiction books that I have read (in my entire life!!). From the first page of the book, where she mentions the story taking place in Hickory, North Carolina, I was immediately enthralled and excited to read the book. I live thirty minutes from Hickory and therefore could easily picture, in my mind, everything Hostetter wrote about. Even if the depiction in my head wasn't completely accurate, I felt as if I was more connected to the characters and story because of my affiliation with the city. If I teach in North Carolina, I would love to use this book in my classroom because I feel like my children will better be able to relate to the story line. 

One the the most poignant element of the book was the relationship between Ann Fay and Imogene. I feel as if this was a good way to introduce the problem of segregation and race relations during that time period. I would love to use this in my classroom to bring up these problems of the past and discuss their meaning and effects. I would even talk with them about problems in today's day in age, like #blacklivesmatter and the rampant police killings of african-american men, and how it affects them.

Following, I would teach this book by creating various lesson plans on different historical events and problems, which are present in the book. I would have sections on segregation and civil rights, Roosevelt, polio, and WWII, to help introduce and better explain these topics. Blue provides a great starting point for presenting these issues to children; however, I would supplement the book with a history textbook, because the book does lack an in-depth description of these time periods.

I loved the author's note at the end that explained what was fictitious and what was real. I feel as if this could help readers better sort out in their minds what is true and false. This book would be a great way to introduce historical fiction to children, so they can become familiar with this genre and telling fact from fiction. As McTigue, Thornton and Wiese say in her article, "Historical fiction can be more entertaining than history and more informative than fiction." This genre is a great bridge between fact and fiction and makes history more entertaining for children. However, teachers need to make sure that historical fiction as a genre is well explained to them before they read the book, so that the children know how to interpret these type of books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment