Friday, September 23, 2016

Science Fiction Novel: The One and Only Ivan


Title: The One and Only Ivan
Author: Katherine Applegate
Publication: 2012

Since I was a kid, I have loved science fiction. Something about the blend of science (which I love) and literature make reading more fun for me. I absolutely loved this book!! I know I've said that about most of the ones I've read - so that's a good sign. But this was a different kind of good. This was like a "unique" good. Very rarely do you find a good but not too out there science fiction book. This one did a great job of blending an actual true story with fiction to make it even more interesting. She took a story that was real but told it from the gorilla's perspective making it fictional. She adds different characters and plot lines, however, the story is believable enough - and in this realm - where I can still picture what it would be like to be Ivan.

One of my favorite parts about this book is the way it is structured and written. Immediately, it caught my eye. One, the spaced out paragraphs that almost look like a poem and two, the short chapters that range from one page to usually only four to five pages. I believe this structure will make it appealing and not so daunting to children (especially like me, when I was a child, and words scared me). Applegate really writes like a poet too. She uses many metaphors and similes to get her points across and allow the reader to really picture what Ivan is talking about. Below are some of my favorite and most memorable pieces of her writing:
"Stella remembers every moment since she was born: every scent, every sunset, every slight, every victory" (Applegate, 53).
"I was born in a place humans call central Africa, in a dense rain forest so beautiful, no crayons could ever do it justice" (Applegate, 123).
"Growing up gorilla is just like any other kind of growing up. You make mistakes. You play. You learn. You do it all over again" (Applegate, 127).

Each of these quotes show what great prose Applegate uses in her writing. She speaks so eloquently and does a great job of creating those "mind-pictures" we read about in class. I love the way she makes it seem as if Ivan really is talking because of the short sentences and paragraphs. It's almost as if we are reading his journal. Each chapter tells us of different thoughts Ivan is thinking. The way in which she writes it, is exactly how I would expect a gorilla to write it - she embodies him as a character perfectly. If it were Stella's point of view, for example, that she was writing from, the journal-type entries would be written very differently, more detailed and descriptive. Her writing encapsulates exactly who I would picture Ivan to be, what he is thinking and how he would write it.

Ivan goes through many ups and downs throughout the book. The story begins with a simple opening titled, hello, saying "I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks" (Applegate, 1). This opening page immediately made me interested and excited to read what was next. Also, page 1, done, in like two seconds. It's an easy but enjoyable read for students who I may have that are struggling to read.

As the story continues, Ivan tells the reader about his friends Stella, the elephant and Bob, the stray dog. Ivan is stuck in a cage in a mall but when the death of Stella and the arrival of a new baby elephant occur, he is motivated to try and get them out of their cages. He uses his artistic talent to get the attention of news stations and eventually zookeepers to move them to a better home - a zoo. The story ends perfectly - almost too perfect but as I found out later was inspired by a true story. This made me even more elated that an actual gorilla found a more suitable home in real life. Applegate ends the story beautifully, with Ivan fulfilling his promise made to Stella to bring Ruby to a safe place. As a character, he solves his problem, and lived up to his name of the "mighty silverback," strong, courageous and protecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment