Monday, October 31, 2016

Book of Choice: How Many Seeds In a Pumpkin?


Title: How Many Seeds In a Pumpkin?
Author: Margaret McNamara
Publication: 2007

I loved this book because I love doing hand-on activities for students, and I think I could replicate what the book does in my classroom. In the book, the teacher has a small, medium, and large pumpkin. He has the students pick the seeds from them and count them. It turns out that the smallest pumpkin had the most seeds. Regardless of sizes, the more lines on the outside of a pumpkin, the more seeds it will have inside.

Author McNamara, uses this metaphor to explain how even though the main character is short, it doesn't mean he is last in line all the time, or the worst. In the story, the smallest pumpkin has the most seeds. The author uses this example to explain to Charlie that although he may be the shortest in the class, he still is just as important as everyone else. As teacher Mr. Tiffin explains, "Small things can have a lot going on inside them" (McNamara).

I love how this book gives a lesson for teachers to use in the classroom, while also providing an interesting storyline for students. The book also contains an informative author's note at the pack of the book. It explains facts about pumpkins, pumpkin seeds, how to grow pumpkins, etc. I would love to use both this book and the activity presented in the book in my classroom. I would probably alter the activity in my class a bit since the book already tells of the outcome. But Halloween and fall are definitely one of my favorite times of year, so I would enjoy teaching my students about pumpkins, harvests, fall plants, and Halloween myths and stories. It would be a fun experience for the kids, while also giving them a chance to learn something new!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment