Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Multicultural Picture Book: Baba Yaga


Title: Baba Yaga
Author: An Leysen
Publication: 2016

I really enjoyed reading this book, because it's roots lie in Slavic mythology. I am from Poland, so the Russian doll, characteristics of the book, the girls outfit and hair, simply the word "Baba" - which I call my grandmother - all relate to my heritage. This book follows the journey of a a young girl named Olga. Her father remarries a mean old stepmother, whose sister is a witch. Olga must fight the evils of the witch as she goes to visit her for some needle and thread. She barely escapes the frightful hands of the witch, Baba Yaga. This book was first published in Belgium and Holland and then translated into English.

I believe this book will showcase to students the different type of fairytales that exist around the world. While it is similar to some of our stories like Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, or Hansel and Gretel, it differs in certain ways. One can see the culture portrayed throughout the book through the use of the nestling doll, her outfit, hair and the names of the characters. Even the illustrations throughout the book, make me feel as if I am in a Slavic country.

In my classroom, I would use fairytales from other countries, like this one, to compare and contrast to our American ones. What's different and what's similar? I would point out that each share common, human characteristics, like a need for family or friends, hope and security. While Olga experiences great danger, by the end of the book, she is back in the comforting arms of her father. I would like to compare this book to an American fairytale and pick out the differences, like how the characters deal with their emotions, how the illustrations are different, and how the writing style compares.

I believe these activities would help make my students more aware and educated about other cultures. It would help them to understand that Americans are not the only one with writing ideas...a lot of folklore, myths, tales, etc. come from other countries and cultures. I believe my students need to be educated on the diversity in literature and this book would help reach that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment