Monday, October 24, 2016

Multicultural Novel: Esperanza Rising


Title: Esperanza Rising
Author: Pam Munoz Ryan
Publication: 2000

"Do not be afraid to start over" (Ryan, 49). This quote is one of the themes throughout this book, as the main character Esperanza must start her life over after her father, a wealthy ranch owner, dies. Esperanza is afraid of new beginnings, moving to a new country, and losing her family and memories of happier times. However, she takes a bold step for a young girl and moves from Mexico to America. She struggles to adjust to the new life as a farm worker and living in poverty instead of wealth. However, amidst her mother getting sick and encountering many struggles along the way, she becomes happy with her life and situation. The book ends with Esperanza passing on the same piece of knowledge she received in the beginning of the book. She tells her new, young friend, "Do not be afraid to start over" (Ryan, 253). This ending brings the book full circle, showing how Esperanza has grown throughout the length of the book.

Another way in which the character has grown is through her understanding of class and society. In the beginning of the book, as Esperanza and her mother make the trek to the United States, Esperanza doesn't understand why her mom is talking to the poor people. Esperanza thinks she is too good for them. She is embarrassed to be seen with them as well. These characters give Esperanza great insight however, like Carmen the woman on the train,
"I am poor, but I am rich. I have my children, I have a garden with roses, and I have my faith and the memories of those who have gone before me. What more is there?" (Ryan, 76).
Throughout characters like these, Esperanza realizes the importance of family and friends. While in America, she becomes a working class citizen and understands the value of money and hard work. By the end of the book, she ends up giving away her only possession left from her dad to her friend Isabel. This kind act shows how much Esperanza as a character has grown.

I believe these examples of character growth are very helpful and applicable to a child's daily life. He or she can come to understand that they can grow through hardships, as well as empathize with those going through them. This book would be helpful in teaching lessons on character growth, social class, and prejudice. I would also like to teach this book with a social studies component, studying the 1900's focus on agriculture and the impact of migrants in America.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would definitely use it to teach in the classroom. I learned a lot about migrant workers, social class, and another heritage. I believe my students would benefit in the same way by reading this book as well. I think it is important to learn about this time in history because of the large impact it has had on our culture and the immigration of people to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment